Nominations are now open for emerging Indigenous artists from Northern Ontario who are Women (Trans, Cis, Two-Spirit, Non-Binary, Genderqueer). Please note that you can nominate yourself or someone else.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- To be considered for an award the artist must be an Indigenous person living in Northern Ontario (Métis, Inuit, Status and Non-Status First Nations peoples).
- This award is for Indigenous artists who are Women which includes Trans and Two-Spirit Women as well as Cis Women. This award is also open to Two-Spirit artists who may identify as Non-Binary and Genderqueer who prefer the use of they/them pronouns.
- Must be at the emerging stages of artistic career. We define an emerging artist as:
- In the early stage of their career, regardless of age
- Has created a modest body of work
- Has had some evidence of professional achievement but may not yet have a substantial record of accomplishments.
- One who is not yet recognized as an established or mid-career artists by other artists, curators, producers, critics, community members, and arts administrators.
- Open to all artistic disciplines including:
- Traditional/Customary Arts (Beading, Carving, Quillwork, Tufting, Weaving)
- Visual Arts (Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Installation and Performance art)
- Performing Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre)
- Media Arts (Film, Video, New Media)
- Literary arts
- Live in one of these geographical regions in northern Ontario:
- Kenora District
- Algoma District
- Cochrane District
- Manitoulin District
- Nipissing District
- Parry Sound District
- Sudbury District
- Timiskaming District
- Rainy River District
- Thunder Bay District
- All eligible artists are encouraged to apply
- Individuals can also nominate an eligible artist they feel deserves this award.
To apply please submit the following:
- Resume & Biography
- One-page letter outlining why you or the artist you are nominating should receive this award.
- Images, audio, written or video support material of your artwork. Please do not send original artworks.
- Letter of support from someone who is familiar with the nominee’s career in the arts.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2019
Value of Award: $1500 Cash
Award Jury: NWIA Board of Directors
Submit your application to Native Women in the Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org