Nominations for the 2020 Barbara Laronde Award are now open.
Nominations are open for the 2020 Barbara Laronde Emerging Artist Award. This award recognizes outstanding emerging Indigenous artists from Northern Ontario who are women or other-wise gender marginalized*
Please note that you can nominate yourself or someone else.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- To be considered for an award the artist must be an Indigenous person living in Northern Ontario (Métis, Inuit, Status and Non-Status First Nations peoples).
- *This award is for women and other gender marginalized folks. NWIA respects trans women as women and uses the term gender marginalized to be inclusive of transfeminine people who do not necessarily identify as women as well as trans men and transmasculine people, non-binary people, Two Spirit people, and genderqueer people. Cis-gendered, heterosexual men are not eligible for this award.
- Must be at the emerging stages of artistic career. We define an emerging artist as:
- In the early stage of their career, regardless of age
- Has created a modest body of work
- Has had some evidence of professional achievement but may not yet have a substantial record of accomplishments.
- One who is not yet recognized as an established or mid-career artists by other artists, curators, producers, critics, community members, and arts administrators.
- Open to all artistic disciplines including:
- Traditional/Customary Arts (Beading, Carving, Quillwork, Tufting, Weaving etc.)
- Visual Arts (Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Installation and Performance art)
- Performing Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre)
- Media Arts (Film, Video, New Media)
- Literary Arts (Prose, Poetry, Creative-Nonfiction, Spoken-word)
- Live in one of these geographical regions in northern Ontario:
- Kenora District
- Algoma District
- Cochrane District
- Manitoulin District
- Nipissing District
- Parry Sound District
- Sudbury District
- Timiskaming District
- Rainy River District
- Thunder Bay District
- All eligible artists are encouraged to self-nominate.
- Individuals can also nominate an eligible artist they feel deserves this award.
To apply please submit the following:
- Resume or CV
- Short bio up to 250 words max
- One-page letter outlining why you or the artist you are nominating should receive this award.
- Images, audio, written or video support material of your artwork. Please do not send original artworks. Please do not send more than 10 individual files.
- Max 1 page letter of support from someone who is familiar with the nominee’s career in the arts.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2020
Value of Award: $3,500 Cash
Award Jury: NWIA Board of Directors*
Submit your application to Native Women in the Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org
* In the event of a conflict of interest with a NWIA board member and a nominee, said NWIA Board members will recuse themselves from the selection process.
If you have any questions or need help with the application please feel free to reach out to Program Manager – Quach George at email@example.com.